Date: November 5, 2020 (Thursday) – November 7, 2020 (Saturday)
・Date: April 23, 2021 (Friday) – April 25, 2021 (Sunday)
・City: Xi’an Chan-Ba Ecological District
“Living in the Heritage：the scenic value of urban rivers nature and culture”
The Convention Concerning the “Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage” has defined cultural and natural heritage, emphasizing they should have outstanding universal value in history, art, aesthetics and science. River epitomizes the values of natural and cultural heritage in the development of human history. It is also an important carrier of the aesthetic thoughts and life wisdom in the oriental civilization system of China, Japan and South Korea. In the process of modern urban development, the role of rivers is constantly evolving. Its social value and public cognition have been different from the past, and new functional value systems are constantly emerging. The flood control works supported by modern technologies have brought about severe ecological challenges.
１． Value of connecting history and future. How does the natural and cultural heritage of urban rivers communicate between history and future?
History cannot be disconnected. There would be no today without the past. Today, how to understand the value of natural culture of urban rivers in history and today will determine the future that we would have and the history we would create. There were various types of engineering constructions for rivers in the history of different regions, such as water conservancy, irrigation, bridges and ferries. What are the historical values of site selection and construction, and cultural symbols formed by historical scenes today? How do they affect the public? How to protect, show and interpret them? How to endow heritage a significance in social life beyond tourism?
２．Value of highlighting local features. What are the local features of the natural and cultural heritage value of rivers?
The natural features of rivers vary from region to region, and people’s perception and activities also differ. How to discover, express, display and create the local value of natural and cultural attributes of rivers? How to preserve traditional river value cultural activities and their sites? How to avoid the disappearance of local values of rivers due to lack of public awareness?
３．Value of expressing scenery. How to express the public perception of rivers on traditional landscape and environmental aesthetics?
In the development system of oriental cultural thoughts, the river system has special values and expressions, especially in the spiritual and aesthetic aspects regarding the meaning of landscape. Is there any contradiction between oriental traditional landscape aesthetics and contemporary ecological aesthetics? How different aesthetic thoughts affect the public life in modern cities? How to reflect the value of riverside public space?
(1) Selecting object: The participants may select an urban river and its surrounding riverside environment in their respective country with natural or cultural heritage values that they are familiar with or have interest in, and take them as a whole research object to expound their outstanding value features as urban natural or cultural heritage, and express the network and connection between river natural and cultural heritage and modern life.
(2) Defining site: Through investigation and analysis, the participant may choose one or more representative sections of the river course in the city to define the scope of the design site, with a total area of 5-10 hectares. Through site evaluation, the participant shall analyze the realistic status of the river natural and cultural heritage value to find out the correlation features with today’s urban life, explore the existing problems and future development trends, and propose problems to be solved and the visions to be achieved through the design.
(3) Designing scheme: Based on the problems, the participant shall put forward a planning and design strategy for the protection and restoration of the river as natural and cultural heritage, as well as presentation and interpretation, and public engagement. The design may center on, but not limited to, the river ecological functions, visual scenes, physical environment (wind, light, heat, sound, etc.), public event services, historical and cultural display, to carry out spatial composition, streamline organization, and various natural and artificial elements organization, expressing innovation in urban river course and riverside space construction in modern life.
・参加登録と質疑応答：2020年3月初旬から7月31日（金）まで ・作品提出締切：2020年8月31日（月）24：00（北京時間） ・一次審査結果発表：2020年9月30日（水）（Eメールによる連絡） ・最終審査結果発表：2020年10月20日（水）（中国風景園林学会公式HPに公表） ・優秀作品展示会：2020年11月 西安シンポジウム期間中
(I) Entry Drawing
(1) Each entry shall be submitted with no more than two A0-sized (1189mm × 841mm) electronic drawings. The drawings have a vertical layout, with a margin of 2cm on each side, and a resolution of 300dpi in JPG format. The file of each drawing shall not exceed 20M, otherwise it is invalid.
(2) Each drawing shall contain necessary design drawing and caption, which are incorporated in the drawing sheet. The image file shall not contain any information indicating the author name, work unit, university/college, etc. The violators shall be disqualified.
(3) The drawing shall contain the three aspects as stipulated in Item IV “Competition Contents”. It shall adopt plan, section and perspective views with an appropriate scale, featuring necessary vertical, water system, plant, hard matters and public facilities, as well as necessary analysis graphics. The participants may decide other drawing contents by themselves.
(II) Drawing for Review
A micro-copy of each drawing of the entries shall be submitted in JPG format for review. Each file shall not exceed 2M, and in the A3 sheet size (420 × 297mm).
(III) Information of Participant and Entry
The participant is required to provide a WORD format file, which contains the following:
(1) Information of the participant
Name, e-mail and cell phone number of the participant (Note: be consistent with the names and sequence as registered on the submitted Participant Registration Form, the names on the final award certificate shall be printed according to the sequence of the names registered on the submitted Participant Registration Form); Name of the organizing unit (if any), name and contact information of the instructor (if any, no more than two instructors per entry).
(2) Information of the entry
Name of the entry and a written description of no more than 1,000 English words.
(IV) Optional Entry
Apart from the required submissions, the participant may submit video data (a file under 100M), research reports (PDF format, A3 size, under 25 pages) and other achievements in support of the scheme.
(1) Having successfully signed up, the participant shall be deemed to agree and abide by the competition contents and rules. The competition organizer has the final right to interpret the competition rules.
(2) The electronic edition drawings shall not contain any words or patterns relating to the authors’ names and the institutions or organizations in which they work. The violators shall be disqualified.
(3) The organizer shall have the right to exercise the copyright rights other than the right of authorship of the entries. The entries shall not be returned. The copyright of the award-winning works belongs to the organizer.
(4) The participant shall be responsible for the originality of their entries, and shall be responsible for the settlement of any disputes with the third parties over the entries.
(5) The participant shall abide by the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China. If there is any violation of the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China during the competition, the participant shall take sole responsibilities for the deeds.
(1) Gold Award: one, prize money 12,000 yuan (with taxes paid by the winner), one certificate and one trophy;
(2) Silver Award: two, each with prize money 6,000 yuan (with taxes paid by the winner), one certificate and one trophy;
(3) Bronze Award: four, each with prize money 3,000 yuan (with taxes paid by winners), and one certificate;
(4) Nomination Award: eight to ten, each with one certificate;
(5) Others: one entry certificate.
Ms. Jian Wenna (associate professor, Ph.D., Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Architecture of Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology)
Postal address: Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Architecture of Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology, No. 13 Yanta Road, Beilin District, Xi’an City, Shaanxi Province, China
Zip code: 710055 Recipient: Jian Wenna
Phone: +86-189 9282 1613, +86 29 8220 2041 (Office Room)